Charles Mulwa on 20 Years in Data Leadership: From Citi to Southwest Airlines
I still remember the first time I sat in front of a raw dataset and realized I had no idea what story it was trying to tell me. That was almost twenty years ago, early in my career at Citi, staring at rows of consumer payment histories that meant nothing until someone asked the right question of them. I didn't know it then, but that moment - the gap between "here is data" and "here is insight" - would end up defining my entire career.
My name is Charles Mulwa, and I've spent the last two decades building, governing, and leading data organizations across four very different industries: financial services, healthcare, tax and audit, and now aviation. Along the way I've learned that data leadership isn't really about the technology at all. It's about people, trust, and the discipline to keep asking "so what does this actually mean for the business" long after everyone else in the room has moved on.
This is the story of how I got here - from a business intelligence analyst at Citi to my current role as Manager of Data Management and Governance at Southwest Airlines - and what each stop along the way taught me about what it actually takes to lead with data.
Where It Started: Risk and Reality at Citi
I began my career in data at Citi, working in business intelligence with a very specific, very high-stakes mandate: minimize financial losses. That meant gathering data on consumer behavior, payment patterns, and account histories, and turning it into insight about who was likely to default and why.
It was my first real exposure to a truth that has stuck with me ever since - in financial services, data isn't a nice-to-have. It's the difference between a bank that survives a downturn and one that doesn't. Every field in every table represented a real person and a real risk, and the models we built had consequences that showed up on a balance sheet.
That job taught me discipline. It taught me that "close enough" doesn't exist when you're modeling default risk. And it planted the first seed of what would become a career-long obsession: building data foundations that are trustworthy enough for people to make real decisions on top of them.
Healthcare Changes How You Think About Data
In 2008, I moved into healthcare - first at Phytel, and later at IBM Watson Health after IBM acquired the company. I spent the better part of fourteen years in this space, and it changed how I think about data more than any other chapter of my career.
At Phytel, the mission was proactive patient care - curating and making data available so providers could identify patients before a health issue became a crisis rather than after. At IBM Watson Health, that mission scaled up dramatically. I led data management efforts focused on improving population health, which meant acquiring and integrating demographic, clinical, and encounter data to identify care gaps and connect patients with the providers who could close them.
Healthcare data is unforgiving in a specific way that financial data isn't. A dirty record in a marketing database costs you a bad campaign. A dirty record in a clinical dataset can mean a patient falls through the cracks. That reality forced me to think seriously about data governance - not as a compliance checkbox, but as a genuine ethical obligation. Who owns this data? Who's accountable for its accuracy? What happens downstream if we get it wrong?
Fourteen years is a long time in one industry, and I don't regret a single one of them. But by the early 2020s, I found myself wanting to test whether the governance and management principles I'd built in healthcare would hold up somewhere completely different.
A Detour Into Tax: Data in Service of Clients
In 2022, I took on a role as Director of Data Engineering at Ryan LLC, a firm focused on corporate tax services. The mission there was refreshingly concrete: use data to help corporate clients avoid overpaying in taxes, freeing up their capital to invest, grow, and thrive.
It was a short chapter, but an important one. Tax and audit work runs on precision and defensibility - every number has to be able to withstand scrutiny, because the stakes are regulatory as well as financial. It reinforced something I already believed but hadn't had to apply in quite this way: good data engineering isn't just about pipelines and infrastructure. It's about building systems that produce answers you can stand behind when someone asks you to prove it.
That experience rounded out a perspective I now carry into every organization I work with - data has to serve the client's actual outcome, not just satisfy an internal reporting requirement.
Landing at Southwest Airlines
Since August 2023, I've served as Manager of Data Management and Governance at Southwest Airlines. It's the role that, in many ways, pulls together everything the previous seventeen years were preparing me for.
Aviation is a different kind of high-stakes environment than banking or healthcare, but it shares the same underlying truth: operational efficiency, cost management, customer satisfaction, and compliance all depend on how well an organization acquires, manages, and utilizes its enterprise data assets. When data is fragmented or untrustworthy, it doesn't just create inconvenience - it creates real friction in operations that customers and employees both feel.
What I love about this role is the breadth of it. I'm not just thinking about data governance in the abstract; I'm thinking about how millions of operational decisions, made every single day across a massive enterprise, depend on data that has to be accurate, accessible, and well-governed at scale. It's the kind of challenge that keeps a two-decade career in this field feeling genuinely fresh.
What Twenty Years Across Four Industries Actually Taught Me
If I zoom out from the specific roles and companies, a few lessons show up again and again - lessons I try to bring into every team I lead and every conversation I have about data strategy.
Data governance is a people problem before it's a technology problem. I've implemented governance frameworks in banking, healthcare, tax, and now aviation, and the technology has never been the hard part. The hard part is getting people across a large organization to agree on ownership, definitions, and accountability. You can buy the best data catalog on the market and still fail at governance if nobody trusts the process behind it.
Scalability has to be designed in from day one. Early in my career, I saw too many data solutions built for the problem in front of them, with no thought for what happens when the organization doubles in size or the regulatory landscape shifts. I've made it a personal discipline to build with the future in mind - systems that are adaptable, not just functional today.
An owner mindset changes how you make decisions. I've always tried to approach data leadership the way an owner would approach the business itself - weighing profitability, compliance, and stakeholder needs together rather than optimizing for just one of them. It's a mindset that took me time to develop, but it's probably the single biggest shift in how I lead teams today compared to when I started.
Mentorship compounds. Some of the most meaningful parts of my career haven't been the systems I built - they've been the analysts and engineers I've mentored who've gone on to lead their own teams. Fostering a collaborative environment and boosting team morale isn't a soft skill you add on top of data leadership. In my experience, it's inseparable from it.
Industry expertise transfers more than people expect. I've moved from financial risk to population health to tax strategy to airline operations, and each move felt like starting over on the surface. But underneath, the core discipline - building trustworthy data foundations that support real decisions - travels with you. If you're early in your career and worried that switching industries means losing your expertise, my experience says the opposite is often true.
Watching the Toolset Change Underneath Me
One thing I haven't touched on yet is just how much the technology itself has changed since I started. When I was building risk models at Citi in 2006, "the data warehouse" was the center of the universe - a single, carefully governed structure that every report and every analyst pulled from. By the time I was at IBM Watson Health, we were integrating clinical and claims data from dozens of disparate sources, and the conversation had shifted toward data lakes, cloud migration, and the early promise of machine learning applied to population health.
Today, at Southwest, the conversation is different again - cloud-native platforms, real-time data pipelines, and AI-assisted analytics sit alongside the same governance fundamentals I learned twenty years ago. I've written before about why I think the traditional data warehouse isn't actually dead, just evolving, and living through that evolution firsthand - rather than reading about it after the fact - is part of what makes me confident in that view. The tools change every few years. The underlying discipline of knowing where your data comes from, who's accountable for it, and whether it can be trusted has not changed at all.
That's a distinction I try to make clear to younger data professionals I mentor. Chase the tools if you enjoy them - I certainly have. But don't mistake tool fluency for data leadership. The engineers and architects who last twenty years in this field are the ones who understand that platforms are replaceable and governance discipline is not.
The Common Thread Across Four Industries
People sometimes ask me what it's like to move from banking to healthcare to tax to aviation, as if each shift required relearning the job from scratch. In some ways it did - the regulations are different, the stakeholders are different, and the definition of "a good outcome" is different in each one. A good outcome at Citi was a more accurate risk score. A good outcome at IBM Watson Health was a patient connected with care before a condition worsened. A good outcome at Ryan LLC was a client keeping capital they were legally entitled to keep. A good outcome at Southwest is an operation that runs on time because the data behind it was trustworthy enough to act on.
But underneath those differences, the job has always been the same job: earn the trust of the business by proving the data is right, then build the governance and infrastructure that keeps it right as the organization scales. Every industry I've worked in eventually asks the same question in its own language - can we trust this number enough to make a decision on it? - and every data leader's job is to be able to answer yes, and mean it.
Where I Go From Here
Twenty years in, I'm as engaged with this field as I've ever been - maybe more, given how quickly cloud platforms, AI, and modern data architecture are reshaping what's possible. I hold an MBA with a focus on strategic management from the University of North Texas and a degree in Computer Information Systems from the University of Central Missouri, and if there's one thing that combination taught me, it's that the best data leaders have to be fluent in both the technical and the strategic - able to sit in a room with engineers one hour and executives the next, and translate fluently between them.
I write here to share what I've learned across finance, healthcare, tax, and aviation - not because I have it all figured out, but because I think the data leadership community benefits when people are honest about what actually works and what doesn't. If you're building a career in data management, data governance, or data architecture, I hope some part of this story is useful to you.
If you'd like to follow along as I write more about data leadership, governance strategy, and the lessons I'm still learning, subscribe to the newsletter below or connect with me on LinkedIn.
For more of my writing on data leadership, enterprise data strategy, governance and architecture, visit CharlesMulwa.com

Comments
Post a Comment